Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

How upsetting

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this on here...I usually tend to not share personal things very openly. It's not that I don't want people to know about things...I don't know I'm just not necessarily one to go out of my way to share it. But since this will be a pretty big challenge for me, I decided that I wanted to put it up here. 

This week I had to accept a pretty big (mandatory) temporary change to my workouts. I'm just glad it's only temporary. So I went for a short doctor's appointment on Monday before I had a minor out-patient surgery on Wednesday. At my appointment my doctor mentions to me, "oh yeah, by the way you can't do any strenuous or high impact activities or workouts for a while". My first question was "W-w-w-what?! Well what exactly can't I do? And for how long can't I do it?!". So he tells me that you know, I can't do stuff like lifting weights...or just anything that would be too strenuous on the body and proceeds to ask exactly what I do at the gym. When I tell him I usually lift weights and do the spin bike he says "oh yeah, I used to spin. You definitely can't do that". Well great. The only thing my workout is is high-impact and strenuous. And I can't do those things. What the hell am I supposed to do then?! He then tells me that I can do the elliptical and things like that and as long as it isn't strenuous he doesn't care. And when I ask how long? He says "oh, I don't know. At least 6 weeks". Well isn't that just wonderful -_-

Initially I was pretty upset. For the past month or so I've really started to get back into the gym and lifting weights consistently. I was just getting my routine down and really excited about it. And boom. For a month and a half I can't do any of it. The thing is, I know that this is the best thing for my health. There is no question I had to go through with the surgery and I know that I have to give my body time to recover from it. It's just annoying and aggravating (plus, there was one other restriction that was bad enough as it was...but then to add this whole wok-out thing just made it more annoying). 

At least I don't have to give up the gym all together. So, after being upset for a few days I decided that I would take this as an opportunity to do other things. I figured I'd stick to the elliptical, walking, or the stair master (this part I was never too upset about...it's the no lifting weights part that killed me). But I don't want to just do cardio for the next 6 weeks, so I figured I'd supplement it with a lot of pilates, yoga, and any other classes along those lines that aren't too strenuous. Luckily I actually do enjoy yoga and pilates...I would usually try to do yoga or pilates once a week before, but if I ever had to chose between yoga/pilates and weights I would definitely chose weights. So it'll be interesting to take on fitness from a very different perspective. 

I'm definitely excited to see any changes that might occur with 6 weeks of yoga and pilates...with my body, mind...anything at all.  They say that your diet is more important than the type strength training you do (or something like that), so I'm excited to test that theory out! With 2 yoga classes and 1 pilates class behind me I'm definitely enjoying it so far...I just hope I don't get bored of it.


With love,

Tuffy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment